Elder Hunt is out of the Mission Office!! New address is on the right! :)

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

We are starting to find some success

 

This past week we finally got to meet with a lady from Nicaragua named Nora and we have started to teach her and she has a baptismal date for the 5th of November. We also got in contact with a lady from Ecuador who is a friends with a member. We will hopefully set a baptismal date for her tomorrow. She also has 2 daughters, one is 9 and the other is 15. The first meeting was just with her, her name is sicilia and this next appointment tomorrow will be her and her 2 daughters, so we are very excited for this opportunity!

I really don´t have too much to comment about because this past week was mostly filled with looking for more people to teach. But I will share two experiences that stick out to me from this past week.

Our first appointment with Nora was actually in a park because she lives with an old woman that she takes care off and the old lady didn´t want us, the missionaries, in her house. So we met her and taught her in a very busy park outside the old lady´s building. It was kinda weird because this was the first time I had ever taught a lesson outside with people walking by and watching. But the whole time, I was worried with the question as to how we would pray. I didn´t want to draw attention to us by praying, so we started the chat without an opening prayer. As the lesson was coming to a close, we testified again and explained that we have our testimonies, but she can know for herself through prayer. But at this moment I thought, how can she know the importance of prayer, if we, the missionaries, didn´t even start the chat with a prayer! So i was just praying that we would know what to do! We talked some more and challenged her to be baptized, we asked that if she continued to meet with us, and came to discover that our message was true, that she would be baptized. She agreed and we discussed again, that she can only come to know the truth if she did the commitments we left her and prayed. Again, I was concerned with what we would do about praying in the middle of a public park. But as we finally finished talking, we got another appointment set up and were closing up, everyone that was in the park was gone. It was just the 3 of us and we could have a nice calm opportunity to pray. It was quite the miracle. It was so busy during the lesson, and then when it was time to pray, everything just worked out.

We are always trying to find something cool to do for Pday. I´ve been in Sevilla for about 15 weeks now and I´ve seen pretty much everything Sevilla has to offer in the tourist matter of things. But this morning as I was looking through a tourist magazine with fun places to visit, I saw an article for an art museo.  It had samples of some of the artwork displayed there and one of them jumped out to me. It was more modern art I guess.( I don´t really know what to call it...) But it depicted the bad things in this world. There was sadness, and hunger, wars and natural disasters. It was a very bleak outlook on the world and life itself. And it really made me feel bad, I didn´t feel good looking at this piece of art! But in my hand, as I skimmed through the pages of this tourist book, I had a German Milka Chocolate Bar. I love German Chocolate. So as I looked at the bleckness of this depiction of life, I had no reason to feel bad, because I had something that made me feel good. You can probably see where this is going now...haha. It is a bit of a stretch, but I couldn´t help but think of this past conference while looking back to this experience. We can see the world going to the dumps with all the sadness and terrible things happening, with its sinking morals, but we have something that makes it all better. We have the restored Gospel of Jesus Christ and that gives us the hope for a better today and tomorrow.

This week was good and I am looking foreward to another good one!

Os Quiero,

Jason

No comments: